Regulatory Agency Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
  • (334)-242-3486
  • Montgomery Headquarters 64 N. Union St., Suite 559 Montgomery, AL 36130 Phone: (334) 242-3467 Fax: (334) 353-1603
  • Contact District Offices for more information on permits
License Details Fees The Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator permit has no cost The fur catcher license costs $21.70 for residents The fur catcher license costs $208.15 for non-residents License Duration Permits are valid for a year, renewed in September How to Apply
  • Obtain a valid fur catcher license (trapping license)
  • Fill out the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator Application
    • Call (334)-242-3486 for an application
Renewal and Reporting Permits must be renewed annually in September A report must be submitted two times a year. The report must include: number of animals caught, what species were caught. and how the animals were disposed of. Laws and Regulations
  • It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a furbearer alive beyond the confines of the trap without permit from the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources or his designee.
  • All furbearers shall be immediately dispatched or released at the trap site. All feral swine must be killed at the site of capture in accordance with rule 220-2-.86.
  • Any person trapping fur-bearing animals, except for feral swine, in the State of Alabama must carry a choke stick while running traps.
  • When trapped fur-bearing animals are dispatched with a firearm, only standard .22 caliber rimfire firearms may be used. However, feral swine may be dispatched by any firearm or sharpened blade
  • Current through Register Vol. 38, No. 8, May 29, 2020
  • Section 220-2-.27 – Permit To Take Protected Wildlife Causing Crop Damage, Property Damage, Or Concern For Human Safety
  • Protected wildlife causing crop damage, property damage, or a reasonable concern for human safety, may be taken at times and by means otherwise unlawful by first procuring a permit from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Permits for the removal of protected wildlife will be issued by the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources or his designee if after investigation it has been determined that such protected wildlife should be removed for human safety, or to protect agricultural crops or other property from excessive damage. Feral swine and coyotes are species for which the necessity of demonstrating specific damage is not required. Such permits will only be issued to the person owning the land or his/her official agent or to any person who has a lease on such lands, provided the lessee has the permission of the landowner to remove protected wildlife. Except for feral swine, permits shall not be issued to take, capture or kill protected wildlife causing damage to crops planted for wildlife management. All wildlife taken shall be disposed of as directed by the issuing agent, and except for feral swine it may not be utilized personally. All feral swine taken under permit must be killed on site in accordance with 220-2-.86.
  • The means, methods and times for which a permit is valid may be stipulated.
  • Any person, firm or corporation engaging in the business of wildlife damage control shall obtain a permit from the Department prior to taking, capturing or killing wildlife and shall conduct wildlife damage control only under terms and conditions as specified by the Commissioner or his designee.
  • A property owner or tenant shall be allowed to take one squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, beaver or skunk per incident that is causing damage to said individual’s property without a permit. A property owner or his agent may take blackbirds without permit when found causing damage or posing a nuisance or health threat.
Laws Regarding Translocation Live caught animals may not be relocated across a county line or a major river drainage.  Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Regulation 220-2-.26 states that no person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association, shall transport species of coyote or fox, raccoons, skunk, wild rodents (such as mice, rats, squirrels and chipmunks) or rabbits within the state, along with many other species.  Trap Tags Traps must have a tag bearing the license number and the name and address of the owner Hunting and Trapping License A hunting license is not required to obtain this permit A fur catcher (trapping license) is required to obtain this permit