Connecticut Nuisance Wildlife Control License

This license allows individuals to remove nuisance wildlife that is causing property damage or is a threat to public safety.

Contact Information

Contact Jeff May, CT NWCO Association Training Coordinator, at (475)-202-9283 for information on NWCO training

Contact Chris Vann, CT DEEP Wildlife Division at (860)-424-3011 or for information on NWCO exams

License Details


  • Commercial License: $250
  • Noncommercial License (Municipal employees only): No Cost

License Duration

Commercial license are issued for a two-year period

Must be renewed no later than December 31st

How to Apply

  • Attend an approved Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator’s training course
  • Pass the DEEP Nuisance Wildlife Control Licensing Exam
  • Submit an application for a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator license
  • NWCO Application

Renewal & Reporting

A log of all activities must be kept at all times. This log may be checked at any time by DEEP authorities. A renewal and report form must be submitted by December 31st each year.

Renewal and Report Form

Activity Report Form

Laws and Regulations

  • No person shall engage in the business of controlling nuisance wildlife, other than rats or mice, without obtaining a license from the commissioner.
  • A license held by a municipal employee shall be noncommercial, nontransferable and conditional upon municipal employment.
  • No person licensed under this subsection may kill any animal by any method which does not conform to the recommendations of the 1993 report of the American Veterinary Medical Association panel on euthanasia.
  • Any person licensed under this subsection shall provide all clients with a written statement approved by the commissioner regarding approved lethal and nonlethal options
  • Any permit or license issued under this section shall not authorize the taking of deer
  • Town employees, such as Animal Control Officers (ACO), are also required to obtain a NWCO license if they provide wildlife control services as part of their duties for town residents. 

Laws Regarding Translocation

  • Translocation of all mammals is currently prohibited by CT DEEP regulations, without prior approval of the CT DEEP. Translocation sites would be identified and have to be pre-approved by the CT DEEP and the property owner where the translocated mammals would be placed prior to live-capture and translocation.
  • Translocation of raccoons, skunks or foxes is prohibited

Trap Tags

Traps must have the legal name written legibly on traps that are being used

Hunting and Trapping License

A trapping license is not required to obtain this license

A firearms license is required if at any moment a firearm will be used as a method of control or euthanasia.