Regulatory Agency

Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Fish and Wildlife

  • Commercial License Clerk: (317)-232-4102
  • General Information: 1-800-457-8283
  • Linnea Petercheff: (317)-233-6527 or

License Details


There are no fees associated with this permit

License Duration

The permit is valid for 4 years

How to Apply

  • Take an exam consisting of 90 questions, true-false and multiple choice
    • Contact the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife and request a study packet to help prepare
  • Contact a property office to schedule an appointment to take the exam, testing locations can be found on the back of the study packet

Renewal and Reporting

In order for the permit to be renewed an individual must retake the exam or have 32 hours of continued education in 4 years

Continued education includes: Indiana Animal Damage Control Association Meetings, State Trapper’s Education Course, and Furtakers of America Trapper’s College

Additional training may be available. contact Linnea Petercheff at (317)-233-6527 or

Laws and Regulations

  • Firearms can be used if possessed and used in compliance with all applicable state, local, and federal firearm laws.
  • No snare can be used that permits a circumference greater than 15 inches unless at least 50% of the loop of the snare is covered by water or the snare employs a relaxing snare lock.
  • Wild animals protected by state law that are not an endangered or federally protected species can be taken under the authority of this permit.
  • White-tailed deer can be taken outside the season only with a special deer damage control permit issued by a DNR District Wildlife Biologist; you cannot take any white-tailed deer under the authority of this nuisance wild animal control permit.
  • A pesticide applicator’s license is required from the State Chemist’s Office for the use of toxicants and other labeled drugs; for more information, contact the State Chemist’s Office at 765-494-1587
  • Groundhogs (woodchucks), moles, voles, mice and chipmunks are not protected by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and can be taken at any time and with any method without a permit from the DNR.
  • Foothold traps cannot have an inside jaw spread exceeding 6 1/2 inches
  • Conibears or other body-gripping traps cannot have an inside jaw spread exceeding 8 inches in diameter if round, or 7 1/2 inches if square.
  • Only English or house sparrows, European starlings and feral pigeons can be taken without a federal or state permit. All other species of birds, including woodpeckers and owls, can be captured, possessed or transported only with a permit issued by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Indiana DNR.
  • You may, however, employ methods that will not require you to handle the birds, such as putting up a barrier or applying a non-toxic product that will discourage perching.
  • Contact your DNR district wildlife biologist for information on obtaining a special permit to trap, relocate or kill nuisance Canada Geese outside the legal hunting seasons; contact information is available on our website.

Laws Regarding Translocation

Animals can be released at the capture site or county of capture

Written permission must be obtained from the property owner before releasing any animals on any property, including public land.

Trap Tags

Required to have the name of the owner engraved or attached to the trap

Hunting and Trapping License

If a gun is going to be used for hazing or euthanizing the animal, a hunting license is required.

A trapping license is required if the animals being caught are a protected species.