Regulatory Agency

Iowa Department of Natural Resources

  • Licensing Section: (515)-725-8200

License Details


There is a $25 testing fee associated with this permit

Permit renewal fees are $20

A habitat stamp fee must be paid

License Duration

Permits are valid for a year, expiring on January 10th

How to Apply

  • Applicants must submit an application form
  • Applicants must take an exam and receive a score of at least 80%
    • There is a $25 exam fee
    • If the applicant fails the exam they must wait 45 days before retaking the exam. If they fail a second time they must wait 180 days before reapplying.
  • Once the applicant passes the exam with an 80% or higher they must complete an in-person oral interview with a representative of the department

Renewal and Reporting

Permits must be renewed annually. Permits will be renewed once all reporting requirements are met for the previous year. A $20 fee will be assessed at the time of the permit renewal.

An annual activity report must be submitted by January 31st. The permittee shall provide these records for inspection by a department representative at any reasonable time.

Laws and Regulations

  • Permittees holding an SCGCP must also document on aerial photos, or similar maps, the locations of all Canada goose nests destroyed, the numbers of Canada goose eggs destroyed, and the numbers of Canada geese killed at each project site.
  • The permittee is not authorized to capture or possess any wildlife species listed as endangered or threatened.
  • A person applying for a special Canada goose control permit to use lethal methods to control Canada goose populations or to trap and translocate Canada geese must be a currently certified NWCO
  • The carcass of a dead nuisance animal must be disposed of in a legal manner and within 24 hours of the animal’s death.

Laws Regarding Translocation

Nuisance wildlife, with the exception of endangered or threatened species, may be relocated or euthanized.

The permittee shall comply with the euthanization and release methods described in the NWCO guidebook.

Trap Tags

All traps must be tagged with the permittee’s name and address

Hunting and Trapping License

A hunting license is not required to obtain this permit

A trapping license is required to obtain this permit