Regulatory Agency

Maryland Department of Natural Resources

  • Phone Number: 1-877-620-8367
  • Address: 580 Taylor Ave, Annapolis, MD 21401
  • Permits Coordinator: (410)-260-8540

License Details


A commercial license costs $50.00

An assistant license costs $25.00

License Duration

License are valid for a year

How to Apply

  • To obtain a Wildlife Damage Control Permit an individual must an exam
  • This exam is an open book exam and is available online
  • Mail the completed answer sheet to:
    • Permits Coordinator, Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife & Heritage Service, 580 Taylor Avenue, E-1, Annapolis MD 21401
    • or email it to
  • Do not mail the application or the fee in until an email or phone call is received regarding passing the exam
  • Once an individual has passed the exam they must filled out the application form and submit the fee
  • If willing to take calls from the public, fill out availability form
  • A landowner permit is required to trap chipmunks, opossums, porcupines, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, tree squirrels and woodchucks in Maryland. This free permit can be obtained by calling the Maryland Nuisance Wildlife Hotline at 877-463-6497.

Renewal and Reporting

A copy of all records should be kept for 3 years and made available for inspection by the service

  • Records should include: date of the complaint, name and address of the complainant, number and species of wildlife involved, type of damage caused by the wildlife, and method of disposition

An annual report must be filed with the permit renewal application by December 31st of each year covering the preceding October to September period

Laws and Regulations

  • Maryland regulations require that rabies-vector species (raccoons and skunks) be euthanized when they are live-trapped. The only exception is that the animal may be released on the property from which it was trapped. 
  • A hunting license and furbearer permit are not required to hunt nutria and woodchucks except in Baltimore County, where a hunting license is required to hunt woodchucks. 
  • Nutria and woodchucks may be hunted throughout the year, including Sundays. 
  • Those who are not required to have a Furbearer Permit are: 
    • A person who possesses a Wildlife Control Cooperator Permit and is engaging in the control of fur-bearing mammals in accordance with the terms and conditions of the permit. 
    • A landowner who possesses a Landowner Wildlife Damage Control Permit. 
    • A landowner to destroy a muskrat that is damaging an embankment or impoundment. 
    • A landowner to hunt or trap a coyote, fox or skunk that is damaging or destroying the personal or real property of the landowner on their land. 
    • The owner of a marsh or the owner’s employees to hunt any raccoon which destroys a muskrat or its home in a marsh area within the state. 
    • A landowner or the landowner’s agent to set or use traps or similar devices at any time to trap raccoons or opossums which are damaging property. 
  • It is illegal to use, sell, possess, set, place or maintain a snare trap in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Harford, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. 

Laws Regarding Translocation

Translocation of rabies-vector species (raccoon, skunk, and fox) is prohibited 

Hunting and Trapping License

A hunting license is not required

A trapping license is not required if an individual is only getting rid of nuisance wildlife