Regulatory Agency 


  • Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks 
  • Central office: (601)-432-2400 
  • Anthony Ballard, Nuisance Species Program Biologist 
  • Regional Offices 
  • North: 
    457 CR 26 
    Mailing Address: 
    Box 100 
    Enid, MS 38927 
    (662) 563-6222 
  • Central: 
    506 Highway 43 South 
    Canton, MS 39046 
    (601) 859-3421 
  • South: 
    1201 N Clark Avenue 
    Magnolia, MS 39652 
    (601) 783-2911 
  • To receive technical guidance and information in regards to nuisance animal management and control, you may contact the following agencies:  
  • USDA Wildlife Services (MS) – (662) 325-3014 
  • MDWFP Wildlife Bureau – (601) 432-2199 
    Mississippi State University, Extension Service – http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/ 

Licensing Information 


  • Persons trapping nuisance animals, other than wild hogs, must have a valid Mississippi trapping license, unless otherwise exempt. 
  • Contact a staff member or Anthony Ballard directly asking for a permit application 
  • The individual must go through a background check  
  • They will then go on a list for people to contact for help regarding nuisance wildlife 
  • They can set their own prices 

To purchase a trapping license: www.mdwfp.com, 1-800-5GO-HUNT (546-4868), or anywhere licenses are sold. 

Record Keeping 

  • An annual report must be submitted  
  • In order to have a permit renewed for the next calendar year, a report must be submitted 
  • The report contains: 
  • The persons business 
  • Who they are 
  • The species of animal trapped 
  • The county in which the animal was trapped in 
  • Whether the animal was released or euthanized  


  • There is no cost for the permit 

Laws to Read 




  • MISS. CODE ANN. §49-7-1, as amended, classifies nutria, beaver, fox (gray and red), skunks, coyotes and wild hogs, as “nuisance” animals. 
  • Lethal trapping methods may be implemented on nuisance wildlife 
  • Ex. Connibears, drowning footholds 
  • Lethal methods are restricted for furbearers, game animals, and bass due to lack of training and certification of this permit 
  • The NWCO is allowed to retain a part of the animal(s) in order with the agreement made with the landowner 
  •  Live nuisance animals may not be possessed except:  
  • Coyotes in permitted coyote enclosures 
  • Fox in permitted fox enclosures, or  
  • Hogs for the purpose of slaughter in an enclosure no larger than 500 square feet in size and constructed in a manner that prevents the escape of any wild hog.  
  •  For the purpose of this rule, “wild hogs” are hereby defined as any feral hog, wild swine, Russian boar, or any pig that is not a domesticated pet or livestock, or has a wild-looking appearance or behavior 
  • No person may transport on public roads or off of the property of record where captured or relocate within the state any live feral hog, wild swine, or Russian Boar within the State of Mississippi without first obtaining a Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit for each wild hog being transported.  
  • All live cage-type trap used to trap wild hogs must be checked every 36 hours 
  •  Permits may be obtained by contacting the MDWFP’s 24 hour Communications Dispatcher at (601) 432-2170. 
  • Required information for a Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit:  
  • Date and time of transportation  
  • Name and physical address of permitee  
  • Hunting License Number  
  • County 
  •  Point of origin (Road or Highway No.)  
  •  Number of live wild hogs being transported 
  •  Physical address of the final destination  
  • Description of the transporting vehicle and license plate number  
  •  Driver’s license number of driver of the vehicle described above.  
  •  Individuals, at the time of requesting such permit:  
  • Does not have a history of repeat hunting offenses; or  
  •  Has not had his or her hunting privileges revoked.  
  • A Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit shall be valid for twenty-four (24) hours from the time it is issued. 


  • Wild hogs may not be caught or trapped and released into the wild at a location different from the location where the wild hog was caught or trapped. 
  • Nuisance wildlife may be relocated with the permission of the landowner in which the animal is being released on. 

Trap Tags 

  • Any live cage-type trap used to trap wild hogs must be tagged or labeled in plain view with the owner or users name, address, phone number and/or trapper license ID# 

Trapping License 

  • A valid trapping license is required  
  • A trapping license for a resident costs $25.00 
  • A trapping license for a non-resident costs $205.00 

Hunting License 

  • A hunting license is not required