Regulatory Agency

Missouri Department of Conservation

  • To become a business in taking care of nuisance wildlife please contact Alan Leary at (573)-522-4115 ext. 3693
  • Conservation Headquarters
    • 2901 W Truman Blvd, Jefferson City , MO 65102
    • Phone: (573) 751-4115
  • Regional Offices
    • Central Regional Office and Conservation Research Center
      • 3500 E Gans Rd, Columbia , MO 65201
      • Email address: CentralReg@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (573) 815-7900
    • Kansas City Regional Office
      • 12405 SE Ranson Rd, Lees Summit , MO 64082
      • Email address: kcregion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (816) 622-0900 
    • Northeast Regional Office
      • 3500 S Baltimore, Kirksville , MO 63501
      • Email address: NERegion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (660) 785-2420
    • Northwest Regional Office
      • 701 James McCarthy Drive, St Joseph , MO 64507
      • Email address: NWRegion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (816) 271-3100
    • Ozark Regional Office
      • 551 Joe Jones Blvd, West Plains , MO 65775
      • Email address: OzarkRegion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (417) 256-7161
    • Southeast Regional Office
      • 2302 County Park Dr, Cape Girardeau , MO 63701
      • Email address: SERegion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (573) 290-5730 
    • Southwest Regional Office
      • 2630 N Mayfair, Springfield , MO 65803
      • Email address: SWRegion@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (417) 895-6880
    • St. Louis Regional Office
      • 2360 Hwy D, St Charles , MO 63304
      • Email address: stlouis@mdc.mo.gov
      • Phone: (636) 441-4554

License Details

How to Apply

Nuisance wildlife control operators do not need a license or permit to deal with nuisance animals. Instead, they must sign an agreement with the Department of Conservation allowing their company name, number, and address to be made public.

Contact Alan Leary for more information

Renewal and Reporting

Wildlife Control Operators do not need to report an animal that has been caught within 24 hours.

Must be able to show records at any given time in which they are asked for

They must keep a record of all animals caught. The record must include the number of animals caught, location at which they were caught at, name of the customer, where the animals were released or the method in which the animals were euthanized.

An annual report must be submitted between January 1st and March 1st

Laws and Regulations

  • Wildlife you may not shoot or trap under this provision are migratory birds, white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, turkeys, black bears, mountain lions, and any endangered species. For conflicts with these species, contact your local county conservation agent or nearest Department office
  • If traps are utilized to detain the wildlife, then the traps must adhere to the trapping regulations on legal traps.
  • Wildlife captured or killed shall be disposed of only in accordance with the instructions of an agent of the department.
  • Black bears that are causing damage may be killed only with the permission of an agent of the department and by methods authorized by him/her, except that they may be killed without prior permission if they are attacking or killing livestock or domestic animals, or attacking humans.
  • Black bears killed under this rule must be reported immediately to an agent of the department and the intact black bear carcass, including pelt, must be surrendered to the agent within twenty-four (24) hours.

Laws Regarding Translocation

Translocation is not recommended. Rather release the animal on the site where is was captured or euthanize it. Euthanasia is recommended.

Trap Tags

Traps must have the owner’s full name and address or the Conservation Number assigned to them

Hunting and Trapping License

A hunting license is not required

A trapping license is not required