Regulatory Agency

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

  • 1420 East Sixth Avenue, P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701
  • (406)-444-2535 or
  • Furbearer Coordinator, Bob Inman (406)-444-0042
  • Regional Offices
    • Region 1, Kalispell: (406)-752-5501
    • Region 2, Missoula: (406)-542-5500
    • Region 3, Bozeman: (406)-577-7900
    • Region 4, Great Falls: (406)-454-5840
    • Region 5, Billings: (406)-247-2940
    • Region 6, Glasgow: (406)-228-3700
    • Region 7, Miles City: (406)-234-0900

License Details


There is no fee for a depredation permit

How to Apply

  • Contact a regional office to apply for a depredation permit
  • There is no license required to get rid of nuisance wildlife as a Wildlife Control Operator
  • If someone is looking to get rid of nuisance wildlife that has a closed season, a trapping license is required.
  • If someone is looking to get rid of nuisance wildlife outside of the closed season, a depredation permit is required.

Renewal and Reporting

Trappers are required to provide: name, telephone number, ALS number, species, date of harvest, trapping district, county, specific location (TRS or Lat/ Long), and sex when reporting a furbearer harvest

Laws and Regulations

  • No license is required for resident trappers/hunters or nonresident hunters to take predatory animals and nongame wildlife. Non-resident trappers of predatory animals or non-game wildlife must purchase a nonresident trapping license.
  • Furbearing animals are legally defined as beaver, otter, muskrat, mink, marten, fisher, wolverine, bobcat, swift fox, and lynx . There is currently no season for lynx or for wolverine. Only Montana residents may hunt or trap furbearers and a license is required. Bobcats are the only furbearer that may be hunted in Montana.
  • Trappers and hunters are required to personally report their bobcat, fisher, otter, and/or swift fox harvests within 24 hours by calling the statewide FWP reporting line at 1-877-FWPWILD (1-877-397-9453 or 406-444-0356)
  • The capture of any animal that cannot be lawfully trapped, including domestic animals, must be reported to FWP within 24 hours. Any such animal that is uninjured must be released prior to the trapper leaving the trap site. If unable to safely release the animal, call FWP.

Laws Regarding Translocation

Animals may be released on private property with permission from the landowner.

An animal cannot be released on state or federal grounds without permission.

Trap Tags

Traps that are set for furbearers are required to have information of the trapper

Hunting and Trapping License

A hunting license is not required

A trapping license is required if the species is a furbearing species being trapped during the trapping season