New Mexico

Regulatory Agency

New Mexico Department of Game & Fish

  • Special Use Permit Program: (505)-476-8064 or
  • General information: (505)-476-8000

License Details


There is no fee to obtain a permit

License Duration

The permit is valid for a year

How to Apply

  • Applicants must have a Conservation Officer write them a letter of recommendation
    • A letter may not be written if there is not a need for their service at that given time.
  • Once they have the letter written they then must fill out the application

Renewal and Reporting

Permits must be renewed annually. A letter of recommendation does not need to be written for the renewal of a permit

  • If the permit holder moves to a new area, they must have a recommendation letter written on their behalf from the Conservation Officer in that area

Reports must be submitted monthly containing species trapped, number of complaints, number of animals trapped, and how many were released and how many were euthanized.

Reports can be sent in electronically to

Click here to download the reporting form

Laws and Regulations

  • Permittee’s must follow trapping regulations, excluding seasons
  • Due to the presence of rabies in skunks and the hazard to the public health of rabies developing in skunks kept as pets, no person shall import into the state, nor capture with intent to keep as a pet, nor buy, sell, trade nor possess any skunk except in connection with a recognized zoological park or research institution or by permit from the department.
  • Furbearing species include: muskrat, mink, weasel, beaver, otter, nutria, masked or blackfooted ferret, ringtail cat, raccoon, pine marten, coatimundi, badgers, bobcat and all species of foxes.
    • These animals and their pelts are hereby declared to be the property of the state until they shall have been lawfully taken, killed or captured as provided by Sections 17-5-1 through 17-5-9 NMSA 1978, except as to beaver and beaver pelts, the taking of which shall be subjected to the application of Section 17-3-31 NMSA 1978.

Laws Regarding Translocation

All raccoons must be euthanized. Euthanizing skunks is highly recommended

Excluding raccoons, animals may be translocated at the discretion of the permit holder with permission from the landowner of where the animal is being released.

Trap Tags

Traps must have some form of contact information attached or engraved on the trap.

Hunting and Trapping License

A hunting license is not required to obtain this permit

A trapping license is not required to obtain this permit