New York

New York Nuisance Wildlife Control License 

This license authorizes an individual to take/trap, transport and release wildlife whenever the animal becomes a nuisance, destroys property or threatens public safety. The individual can conduct these activities for commercial purposes or as an employee of a municipality. 

License Details 


  • General (Commercial) License: $50 
  • Municipal License: No Fee 

License Duration 

1-year (October 1 – September 30) 

What This License Allows 

  • Taking, transporting and releasing, or euthanizing wildlife when such wildlife damages or destroys property or poses a threat to public safety. 
  • For a General (Commercial) License holder only: Charging a fee to provide wildlife removal services for a property owner or lessee. 

What This License Does Not Allow 

  • Trapping or taking the following species without an additional special permit:  
  • Certain wildlife species, including: white-tailed deer, black bear, beaver, otter, mink, muskrat, fisher, marten, bobcat, wild turkey, water snake, snapping turtle. Requires special depredation permit from a regional DEC wildlife office

How to Apply 

  1. Pass the nuisance wildlife control operator examination with a score of 80% or higher:  
  • Register for the exam: contact a regional DEC wildlife office
  • Dates & locations: Held at variable times throughout the year statewide. 
  1. Complete and submit the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator License Application (sent in mail after passing the exam). 

Renewing & Reporting 

License Renewal 

Licenses expire annually on September 30 each year. A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the license expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us

Annual Reporting 

Complete the Nuisance Wildlife Control Log (PDF) (95KB) (view Instructions (PDF) (49KB) on completing the log) and submit by September 30 each year. Required for all licensed nuisance wildlife control operators. 

Laws & Regulations 

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) 

Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) 

Contact Information 

DEC Special Licenses Unit 
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233 
Phone: 518-402-8985