Regulatory Agency

Ohio Department of Natural Resources

  • Department of Natural Resources: (614)-265-6565
  • Division of Wildlife: (800)-945-3543
  • Permit Coordinator: wildlife.permits@dnr.state.oh.us

License Details


The license costs $40 a year

License Duration

The license is valid for one year

How to Apply

  • Create an account on the Department of Natural Resources
  • Take the exam
  • In order to pass, a grade of 80% or higher is required
  • Submit an application once a score of 80% or higher is achieved

Renewal and Reporting

The license must be renewed annually by the last day of February

Laws and Regulations

  • Written permission is required before engaging in removal or exclusion activities.  
  • Must carry proof of certification and exhibit it when asked by any wildlife officer or person with similar authority.  
  • An appropriate license is required to use a toxins or chemical substance to control nuisance wildlife 
  • Deer damage and goose damage permits are another application
  • In order to do bat exclusion a separate permit is required 
  • It shall be unlawful to sell hides of furbearing animals taken under the authority of a commercial nuisance wild animal control operators license, except those acquired during the open season as specified under rule 1501:31-15-17 of the Administrative Code may be held and sold from from the first day of the respective open season through June fifteenth of the following year. 
  • It shall be unlawful to fail to euthanize nuisance wild animals trapped or taken whose injuries affect normal biological or physiological functions 

Laws Regarding Translocation

Raccoons, skunks, beaver, coyotes, foxes, and opossums must be released on site or euthanized.

If the animal is to be released, it must be outside the limits of any incorporated city or city. If it is released on public or private property, permission is needed beforehand.

Trap Tags

Traps must have name and mailing address, customer identification number, and wildlife commercial nuisance wild animal control operator’s license number.  

Hunting and Trapping License

These license are not required