North Carolina

Regulatory Agency

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

  • Hunting and Fishing Licenses: 888-248-6834 or
  • Wildlife Helpline: (866)-318-2401 or (919)-707-0013
  • Species Specific License and Permits: (919)-707-0061

License Details


There is a $175 course registration fee which is non-refundable

How to Apply

  • There is training required to become a certified Wildlife Control Agent
  • Complete the online registration form
  • Pay the course registration fee
  • Print out the background check authorization form
    • return it by fax (919-707-0292) or mail at 1707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1700
  • Once the form is received an email will be sent out with a user name and password to complete a detailed background check at the email address provided on the form
  • The registration fee for the course includes the Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage on flash drive, test, facility, lunch and refreshment breaks for both days.
  • Certification Course
    • Course will begin promptly at 8:00 am and end at 5:00. All attendees should be on site no later than 7:50 am. The actual check-in process may take some time due to the issuance of daily materials.
    • Once you have taken the examination you will no longer be required to remain on site.
    • No money will be accepted on the day of the course.
    • There will be no additional registrants allowed into the class after the Course Registration Deadline for the course selected.

Renewal and Reporting

Reports must be filed online. They can be filed here, with permit specific information

Laws and Regulations

  • Wildlife Control Agents can issued Depredation Permits to North Carolina residents
  • Trapping regulations must be followed, excluding seasons
  • In order to handle federally protected species, a federal permit is required

Laws Regarding Translocation

It is illegal in North Carolina to relocate any wildlife species onto state owned property.

Animals that are to be relocated need to be relocated to private property which you have permission to release the animals on.

Trap Tags

The permit number must be visibly displayed on the trap

Hunting and Trapping License

If a firearm is used as a control method or a method of euthanasia, a hunting license is required

A trapping license is required to obtain this permit