Regulatory Agency

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources 

  • Call toll free, 1-888-936-7463
  • For information regarding species of reptiles and amphibians contact Rori Paloski at (608)-264-6040 or Rori.Paloski@Wisconsin.gov
  • For questions or concerns with nuisance bears, wolves, or birds contact one of the two regional offices of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services
    • Waupun (920)-324-4514
    • Rhinelander (715)-369-5221
  • For information on how to deal with wildlife causing crop damage
    • Brad Koele, Wildlife Damage Biologist, Bureau of Wildlife Management at (715)-356-5211 ext. 234

How to Apply

  • There is no specific permit to remove nuisance wildlife in the state of Wisconsin
  • An individual must have a trapping license to remove nuisance wildlife
  • An individual must go to the Wisconsin Trappers Association and fill out a form to trap nuisance animals

Renewal and Reporting

An annual report must be submitted by January 31st.

The report must include:

  • Name, address, and phone number of landowner and person removing wild animals
  • Property location and removal activities
  • Authorized time period of removal
  • Species of animals authorized for removal
  • Signature of the landowner and the date

Laws and Regulations

  • Furs from furbearing animals which did not require a special permit for harvest, such as beaver, coyote, fox, raccoon, and unprotected species, can be retained by a landowner under the authority
  • Those removing nuisance wildlife must adhere to the trapping regulations in the state of Wisconsin
  • People removing nuisance wildlife must have written permission from the landowner
  • Do not attempt to exclude bats during the summer months when the colony is established and the young are unable to fly. Bat exclusions may not be conducted from June 1 through August 15.
  • Fur from furbearing animals killed under an animal damage/removal permit may be kept by the trapper and sold only if the permit authorizes the trapper to keep the carcass

Laws Regarding Translocation

Animals caught in live traps are not allowed to be released onto DNR lands. If the animal is to be translocated onto private property, written permission must be obtained from the landowner before releasing the animal. The animal must be released within 24 hours of capture

Trap Tags

Each trap used under a trapping license shall be tagged with a metal tag stamped with the name and address or DNR customer ID number of the owner of the trap

Hunting and Trapping License

If a firearm will be used as a method to haze or euthanize a hunting license is required

A trapping license is required to remove nuisance wildlife